Osteoarthritis is a degenerative bone disease, which is recognized by the symptoms of painful, inflamed and stiff joints.
This is generally thought to be caused by accumulated damage to the connective tissues that the body can no longer efficiently repair, which is why most of the people affected are of more advanced years.
While injuries, disease and general wear and tear of the connective tissues are factors that increase the chances of developing osteoarthritis, the exact causes are yet unknown.
The most effective method of obtaining effective treatment for osteoarthritis pain is to work with your physician.
Once your condition has been diagnosed, he or she will suggest appropriate options to ensure that the treatment program deals with your individual needs and also provides proper relief from a medical standpoint.
It’s a simple truth that multiple factors will determine which treatment is best for you, including your history of cardiac disease, hypertension, peptic ulcers, and renal disease.
Using painkillers and undergoing physiotherapy are the most common forms of treatment for osteoarthritis pain. Exercise and diet control can also help. A doctor’s opinion should be given before you undergo physiotherapy in order to maximize the chances for a cure.
Consult a physiotherapist to learn about certain devices and appliances to manage your problem so that you can treat yourself at home as well as at work. Using a cane or crutches while walking or using rails in your bathroom can also help.
Weight control is another way to help control the pain. The pressure on the knees and hips of an obese person is often too much for the joints to handle, and it is known that the risk of developing this disease can be increased by obesity.
Actually, women who are overweight have a greater chance of developing arthritis of the hip, so decreasing weight is an effective treatment method.
There are many different types of arthritis, and osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis. This condition affects the bone joints in the body, especially those joints which bear weight including the hand, hip, spine, and knees.
It is a degenerative disease that results from changes in the joint cartilage structure which is meant to function as the shock absorber or padding of the joints.
The symptoms of the disease are joint pain, stiffness, warmth, swelling, and deformation. This disease can affect all or specific parts of the body.
There is no established cure for Osteoarthritis but there are remedies which can significantly reduce the symptoms and pain.
When you consider the fact that most prescribed arthritis medications are not proven to be safe and don’t strengthen the immune system or offer long-term pain relief, it only makes good sense to take a more holistic approach.
Plus, more and more evidence shows that lifestyle changes, diet, and home remedies can both help prevent arthritis and provide relief from the painful symptoms.
As a result, more and more people with osteoarthritis are living happier, healthier lives. Although the cause is still unknown, most experts agree that arthritis is connected to a breakdown of the immune system.
This happens when the immune system is either too weak to prevent viruses from attacking the joints or it has lost the discretionary power to recognize the difference between healthy cells and viruses. Therefore, a faulty immune system destroys both.
If not managed, arthritis can grow progressively worse and cause a very limited range of motion and permanent damage. For example, rheumatoid arthritis that starts in one joint can spread throughout the entire body, if it’s not prevented.
Therefore, at the first sign of joint stiffness, pain or swelling, it’s important to take action towards prevention. It’s an even better idea to start before symptoms begin.
You want both safe relief from the pain and inflammation, plus a stronger immune system for controlling the spread of the disease.
Here Are some Natural Remedies you can prepare at Home And some Tips To Reduce The Pain:
- Lifestyle Changes. As much as possible do not involve yourself in any activity that reԛuires you to strain joints with unwanted stress. No matter which part of the body is affected, it is best to not tax your body in any way.
- Rest. If the person is suffering from acute inflammation then they must rest otherwise the pain aggravates. A little rest can greatly reduce the pain
- Exercise. Regular exercise can go a long way in reducing arthritis pain significantly, according to health experts. The exercise builds muscle strength which also helps make the joints stronger. It also relieves stress and reduces the pain. You should consult your doctor before you start exercising as they can tell you what will work best in your condition.
- Healthy Diet. You must avoid food items which are acidic. Fruits and vegetables are a must in any diet.
- Food. Add items such as herbal tea of alfalfa, eggplants, garlic, green gram, bananas, sesame seeds etc. to your daily diet.
- Calcium. You need to take calcium in form of calcium lactate which is easily absorbed and gives great results.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Include nuts like walnuts in your diet as it is a good source of essential omega 3 fatty acids. It helps to renew the cells in the body and corrects any wear and tear.
- Salt Baths or Sea Bathing. The salt contains iodine which is an important nutrient as it rebuilds tissues and vitalizes the body.
- Massage. The massage improves circulation of blood, soothes the muscle spasm, tension, stiffness and help relieve pain and inflammation. Apply a thin layer of Biofreeze into the painful area. BIOFREEZE is a natural pain analgesic that can help to treat the pain caused by arthritis and neuropathy.
- Heat and Cold Therapy. The therapy involves applying a heating pad and then ice packs to relieve the pain caused by osteoarthritis. This method is commonly used by athletes and others with injuries. In both cases, the therapy soothes stiffness and joint pain.
The natural home remedy solution for osteoarthritis is basically the same as it is for any arthritis or degenerative disease.
The American Medical Association recommends supplements for everyone, especially people dealing with degenerative diseases like osteoarthritis. To begin improving your immune system with a healthy diet that includes whole food supplements – particularly fish oil.
Moderate exercise combined with a healthy diet can help you reach and maintain your optimum weight. Every extra pound puts additional stress on joints increasing the odds of painful arthritis.
Low impact exercise, such as walking, swimming or yoga, are also good low-stress ways to strengthen bones, joints, and muscles, improve flexibility and reduce depression, fatigue and stress.
You’ll also need to cut back or eliminate red meat since those who eat more red meat have twice the risk of arthritic pain compared to those who eat red meat no more than once a week.
For further building up of your immune system, replace non-nutritious foods in your diet with whole grains, colorful fruits and vegetables and cold water omega 3 fish, such as salmon.
The most important of all home remedies for osteoarthritis is pure fish oil supplements. Fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory pain reliever and has been proven to help protect people from arthritis.
Reasons To Use Natural Remedies For Osteoarthritis
More Practical: In some cases, these natural remedies are considered more practical, as well as economical. Many natural methods advocate the use of remedies that are readily available at home, reducing the expense of treating osteoarthritis.
Many of those same methods are also easy to take or apply, with little need for special instructions or even equipment. In some cases, even using natural supplements for treatment can cost substantially less than prescription drugs.
Safe To Use: Most people who take natural remedies for osteoarthritis perceive these remedies to be safer to use than conventional drugs and medications.
Most conventional medications, especially those which are more potent in nature, carry with them risks of harmful side effects, particularly through long-term use.
Generally speaking, most alternative natural methods do not have such harmful side effects, or if they do, they are relatively minor when compared to the risks carried by conventional drugs.
Healthier: The growing perception of many people today is that “natural” eԛuates to “healthy” and that carries over to the remedies and methods used to treat osteoarthritis. While this is not always the case, the fact is that a good number of natural remedies are healthier for the body.
Herbal remedies, for example, may also include vitamins and minerals that the body needs, and are also often used to treat more than one condition as well.
They Are Effective: Perhaps the best reason that natural remedies are used to treat osteoarthritis symptoms is the fact that they are effective. This is after all the bottom line in any arthritis treatment, and the bottom line for anybody who has arthritis.
Proof of their effectiveness may come in the form of a few tests and studies, or even from testimonies of others with arthritis, but for many, these are enough reason to believe that they are effective.
The natural remedies are effective when the condition is in the initial stages. If the person suffers from moderate or severe osteoporosis then these homemade remedies may not be very effective.
In such conditions, you can go for over-the-counter pain relief drugs or consult your doctor for other prescription drugs which provide effective relief from the pain caused by osteoporosis.
Feature Image: Shutterstock.com
In-Post Image: Shutterstock.com