What Is Enbrel (Etanercept)?
Enbrel is a prescription drug that is injected into your system. Enbrel is used to treat and rehabilitate five long-term inflammatory complications; rheumatoid arthritis (RA), plaque psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) and ankylosing spondylitis (AS). Enbrel is classified in a class of medications referred to as biologic response modifiers, or biologics. By acting on the immune system, Enbrel blocks proteins that contribute to disease processes, this suppresses the immune system which may increase the risk of getting serious infections.
It is manufactured by a company registered by the name Pfizer.
List of Ingredients
The active ingredient is Etanercept
How Does Enbrel (Etanercept) Work?
Enbrel injection has an active ingredient called etanercept, which is a group of medicine called a TNF blocker. TNF blockers work by inhibiting the process of inflammation. TNF alpha is a protein produced by our bodies and causes inflammation. It also controls the activity of inflammatory chemicals.
Etanercept inhibits the movement of inflammatory cells in and out of inflamed areas of our joints. This calms the signs and symptoms of arthritis, improves the physical joint functions and reduces the rate of joint damage.
Enbrel (Etanercept) Advantages
- It has been subjected to many clinical trials
- Enbrel blocks harmful agents that cause inflammation and joint pains
Enbrel (Etanercept) Disadvantages
- Has very many side effects
- It is an injection
Directions for Use
Enbrel is injected directly under the skin. Your caregiver may teach you how to conduct the injections from the comfort of your home. You should not self-inject if you have not learnt how to effectively give yourself injections and dispose off used syringes and needles. Enbrel should be used with a diluent. Be sure to learn how to correctly mix the Enbrel with the diluent.
Know your injector; if you weigh at least 138 pounds you can use a Sureclick autoinjector. For a person who weigh less than 138 pounds, use a different form of Enbrel. Always use a different point of body every time you have an injection. Avoiding injecting Enbrel into the point on your body two times in a row. Avoid injecting Enbrel into skin that is bruised, tender, red, or hard.
What Research has been done?
There have been numerous research and clinical studies conducted on Enbrel. Studies have been conducted to assert the safety of Enbrel. Several studies have been published on the internet. Most of these studies have established the side effects of the product. The studies have been conducted by both the producers and third parties.
What are the Possible Side Effects of ENBREL?
Enbrel is known to cause several serious side effects that include:
- New infections or deteriorating of already present infections
- Worsening of hepatitis B
- Nerve problems
- Multiple sclerosis
- Blood clot problems which are fatal
- New or worsening heart failure
- New or worsening psoriasis
- Seizures and inflammation in the eyes
- Allergic reactions
- Autoimmune reactions
- Personality disorder
- Abdominal pain
Less severe side effects include;
- Injection point reactions
- Upper respiratory infections
Is Enbrel (Etanercept) Effective?
Enbrel is marketed as a treatment of polyarthritis or oligoarthritis in children aged two years and above, when methotrexate has not been effective or has resulted to unacceptable side effects. In adults, it is used to treat patients with severe symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis who are not responding well to conventional therapy. Well from the clinical trials, there’s a thin line between the side effects caused by Enbrel and the healing capabilities of Enbrel. Enbrel causes so many side effects that they overshadow its healing benefits. What’s the use of having your knee back online but having nervous problems or seizures?
Who Should Use Enbrel (Etanercept)?
It is highly recommended that you take a look at the warnings sections of this review. A lot of people don’t qualify to use Enbrel.
Is Enbrel (Etanercept) Right For You?
Enbrel is right for very few people. The product has so many side effects that it is not viable for most people. If you are suffering from joint complications, this should be your last resort. First, it is available only on prescription and second, there are so many risks involved when using this product.
What Should I Expect When Taking Enbrel (Etanercept)?
You should be very careful when using Enbrel. The product sure does work but it should be used as the last resort. First you should consult your caregiver for all the side effects and drawbacks. Enbrel works where other medications have failed but it comes with a price. You will have to endure the pains that come with Enbrel.
How Long Does It Take To See The Result?
From clinical studies, the turnaround time varies from patient to patient. Technically, it depends on how severe the joint complication is. For mild cases, Enbrel works within days but for severe cases, it might never work at all
- Consult your caregiver if you’ve existing medical conditions, taking any other medicines or if you have HIV or diabetes.
- Don’t take Enbrel if you Think you have any kind of infection.
- Avoid Enbrel if you Have Tuberculosis or if you have been in contact with someone with Tuberculosis or have had heart failure you should consult your caregiver first.
- If you live, have lived in countries where there is an increased risk of fungal infections, such as histoplasmosis you should not take Enbrel.
- If you have or had hepatitis B
- Seek medical attention is you develop symptoms like fever, bleeding, bruising, or paleness while taking this supplement
- Use with other products such as anakinra, abatacept, or cyclophosphamide avoid using Enbrel.
- If you have or have a serious nervous disorder, numbness, seizures or tingling you should consult your caregiver.
- Avoid Enbrel is you are scheduled to get a surgery.
- If you are taking ENBREL, you should not receive live vaccines.
- Avoid Enbrel if you are allergic to latex and other rubbers.
- Avoiding this product if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
There’s nothing much that can be said about this product that has not been mentioned above. Unless you are in a deadly situation, you should avoid using this product. The risks involved with the use of Enbrel are too extreme!
Top Joint Pain Relief Products
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available information and our estimation of efficacy.
*Results may vary. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a serious medical condition, or have a history of heart conditions we suggest consulting with a physician before using any supplement. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease and should not be relied upon as medical advice. Always consult your doctor before using any supplements.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "associate sales links." This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials."