Joint & Arthritis Pain Relief Products – How to Choose the Best Option for You
Aging comes with some of the consequences. As we age on the outside, when wrinkles and crow’s feet start to appear, our joints and ligaments also get older, leading to joint pains.
Joint pain can interfere with almost every aspect of daily living. Simple tasks like weeding the garden, opening a can of soup, or climbing the stairs may become a challenge.
What Causes Joint Pain?
After an intense workout or an injury, it is natural to experience short-term pain in the joints.
For those who suffer from chronic joint pain, this discomfort could persist. It can range from mild to severe.
The most common cause of chronic joint pain is osteoarthritis. This is a condition associated with the wearing of bone-cushioning cartilage (source). The loss of cartilage causes the bones to rub together, resulting in joint pain. It may cause swelling, loss of motion, and changes in the shape of the joint over time.
Other causes of joint pain include injuries, infection, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia.
What Should You Look For In A Quality Joint Support Product?
When picking a joint supplement, it is important to consider those that can prove their claims. Those backed with scientific studied are even better.
The two most important substances to look for in a joint supplement are below:
- Glucosamine: occurs naturally in the body. It plays a role in cartilage maintenance and repair. It may help stimulate the production of new joint cartilage.
According to Dr. Trisha Macnair, a physician, and BBC Health expert, “Some studies even suggest the supplement may be as good as the standard treatment used in mild to moderate arthritis, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen.” She goes on to state that “glucosamine may have some effect in slowing the progression of arthritis (known as a chondroprotective effect) by helping to keep joint cartilage healthy.”
- Chondroitin Sulfate: Also naturally occurring, this substance helps keep joint cartilage flexible. It may play a role in guarding the joints against wear. For optimal results, one can combine it with supplements containing glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate.
Other Key Ingredients Important For Joint Pain Relief
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM):This organic form of sulfur occurs in small quantities in some foods. However, it is not in high enough levels to have notable useful effects. MSM supplements might help lower joint soreness and relieve joint discomfort (source).
- Hyaluronic Acid: This substance occurs naturally in cartilage and in the synovial fluid around the joints. When taken as a supplement, hyaluronic acid might support lubrication, joint flexibility, as well as enhance joint health.
- Boswellia Serrata Extract: Tis a plant-derived substance. It may help reduce swelling in joints and increase mobility (source).
- Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids: primarily come from marine sources. This type of essential fatty acids may have a number of benefits to joint health. It might improve physical activity when taken as a supplement. According to the Arthritis Today Magazine, these include better joint lubrication, reduced joint tenderness, and decreased stiffness.
What Can I Expect From A Joint Supplement?
Everyone responds differently to joint supplements. The results may depend on the ingredients in the supplement and the severity of the joint pain. The cause of the pain and the existing level of joint damage are also key deciding factors.
Joint support supplements with the above-listed ingredients may provide the following benefits:
- Overall improvements in joint mobility and function
- Prevention of additional joint damage
- Reduced joint inflammation
- Stronger joints
- Reductions in joint pain
- Rebuilding of joint cartilage
- Reduced joint friction
What Else Can I Do To Get Relief From Joint Pain?
Right now at least, there is ‘no permanent cure’ for joint pain. However, changing your lifestyle in addition to taking a good joint supplement can yield positive results.
It is also critical to maintaining healthy body weight, by incorporating low-impact activities like swimming or biking into your day. Quitting smoking, and wearing shoes with protective padding can provide relief from joint pain and lead to improvements in overall health.
Joint supplements are a popular alternative for those suffering from joint pain. It is important to choose a product that contains key ingredients. One that may help decrease joint pain, promote joint, cartilage and tissue regeneration, ability to prevent recurring damage, promote joint mobility and flexibility, and quality of ingredients used in each product.