What Is Salonpas Pain Relief Patch?
Salonpas Pain Relief Patch is a (OTC) topical pain relief patch for the temporary relief of joint and muscle aches or pains from arthritis, strains, sprains, bruises and other conditions. It is designed to provide substantial pain relief that lasts up to 12 hours. It uses two powerful pain fighting ingredients namely menthol and methyl salicylate. It is priced $8 for a box that contains 5 large patches.
What Does It Claim To Do?
Salonpas Pain Relief Patch claims to be for the temporary relief of mild to moderate pains and aches of the joints and muscles from:
- Simple backache
- Menthol – This is one of the most effective natural pain relievers. It causes a cool and soothing effect on areas where it is applied topically which helps relieve muscle and joint pain and aches. It is an analgesic since it contains ligands which attach to receptors in the cells which causes a numbing effect. It also triggers vasodilation wherein blood vessels widen thus increasing blood flow. This enhances the healing process helping relieve pain by addressing the actual cause.
- Methyl salicylate – this active ingredient has a warming effect on the area of application. Working together with menthol, it causes the alternation of cool and warm sensations which generally works as a distraction from the pain. It is effective as a pain reliever and also has an anti-inflammatory effect that helps treat both muscle and joint aches and pains. However, long-term use of methyl salicylate may be unsafe for some individuals.
- It uses active ingredients that have been shown to help relive minor to moderate pain.
- The formulation includes menthol which enhances blood flow and improves the healing process.
- It is easy to obtain since it is available almost anywhere.
- The product is affordable.
- The product is not always effective especially for severe joint and muscle pain.
- Long-term use may cause adverse effects on certain users.
- It is not for everyone since some people can’t tolerate the cool and warm sensation that the patches cause.
- There are many feedbacks saying it only relieves pain for a very short time period.
This product is not recommended for children under 18 years of age. Apply one patch to the affected area after cleaning and drying the skin. Leave it on for 8 to 12 hours then use another if needed. Do not use more than 2 patches a day and do not use for more than 3 straight days.
Does It Really Work?
Salonpas Pain Relief Patch has been around for a very long time and many users swear by its effectiveness. However, it is only effective for mild to moderate pain of the muscles and joints. Users say it isn’t effective especially for severe pain.
Salonpas Pain Relief Patch is for external use only. The possible side effects are sensitivity reactions including pain/itching, urticarial, vomiting and skin reactions. In case of any of these side effects, discontinue use. Do not use this product if you are trying to get pregnant, are already pregnant or are currently breastfeeding.
I have a stiff shoulder 3 months out from dislocating it and was hoping this would help. It didn’t. For those of you that think you’ll escape reeking of the Ben Gay smell by getting a patch instead, you are sadly mistaken. I smell like an army of 1000 grizzled old men with arthritis. You feel a little something, but it’s not pain relief. Maybe a tiny blunting, but then again you may be high on menthol fumes. Here’s what just makes me want to punch somebody: All five patches come in the same air-tight pouch. In small fine print, it says, “Discard unused patches 14 days after opening.” So by God, if you don’t use all 5 patches within 14 days you have thrown $10 in the trash. It’s use it or lose it. Cut that pouch and the countdown begins… – Nick (Amazon Review)
How did I manage before finding these? Lots of Bengay (back in the day) and Icy Hot as well. Those products produce instant pain relief but the effect diminishes quickly. Salonpas provides long lasting therapy and I sleep with one on my back every night. – Mr. Gato (Amazon Review)
After carefully scrutinizing Salonpas Pain Relief Patch, it is a good pain relief product for both muscle and joint pain. However, it is just for minor aches and pains and doesn’t really work for severe pain of the muscles and joints. Also, it only offers temporary relief. It is still a product worth trying but there are better products for moderate to severe joint and muscle pain.