Salonpas has always been known for topical analgesics that come in patch form. If you think that this company only has one patch to offer you then you are mistaken. Let us take a look at one of its products called Salonpas Hot.
What Is Salonpas Hot Capsicum Patch?
Salonpas Hot is topical analgesic that conveniently comes in a patch form. All you need to do is place it on the affected area then you are ready to go. It contains Capsicum extract which is very well known as a spice but it also has medicinal purposes like anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. Since capsicum is the component that gives chilli its spice, it provides deep penetrating warmth to the tissues thus the patch is called Salonpas Hot. It provides the following benefits:
- It helps to soothe aching joints and muscles.
- It helps reduce pain in large areas of the body including the back and hip area.
- It is helpful in reducing knee pain, shoulder pain, and elbow pain.
- It reduces joint stiffness and enhances joint flexibility.
- It helps enhance mobility by reducing constant joint pains.
Manufacturer of Salonpas Hot
Salonpas Hot is manufactured by Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co., Inc., a company based in Japan but has subsidiaries here in the United States.
Active Ingredient of Salonpas Hot
Hot patch only has one active ingredient which is Capsicum extract 0.025%. It is an active component of chilli peppers and gives them their hotness or spicy flavor. According to studies, this property of capsicum also gives its analgesic property by temporarily causing a numbing effect on the areas where it was applied. Since it can cause warm sensation, it also causes vasodilation thereby enhancing lymphatic drainage. Inflammation is reduced when lymphatic drainage is increased which then relieves pressure on the irritated nerve endings on the area. With these properties, capsicum has been used in many topical analgesics to provide temporary pain relief.
How Does Salonpas Hot Work?
When capsicum is absorbed through the skin, it causes a warm sensation and brings a numbing effect on the area thereby effectively reducing the pain in the affected area. It also increases circulation on the area which contributes to lowering down the inflammation.
Advantages of Using Salonpas Hot
- It provides effective and quick pain relief.
- It provides long lasting pain relief through constant and regulated release of capsicum extract.
- It is an all-natural product.
- It has no strong pungent odor.
- The patch is large enough to be used for the back and hip area.
- The patch is easy and convenient to use.
Disadvantages of Using Salonpas Hot
- It can cause skin irritation.
- It can cause burning sensation which may not be tolerated by some people.
- It only provides temporary pain relief.
- It does not contain any other ingredient to enhance its benefits or even support joint and cartilage health.
Directions for Use
- Prior to using the patch, clean the affected area to ensure adherence of the product.
- After removing the protective film, apply the patch to the affected area.
- Remove the patch after 8 hours.
- Salonpas can be used 3 to 4 times in a day for a continued period of 1 week.
What Research Has Been Done?
There has been no published research to attest the effectiveness of Salonpas Hot in reducing joint pain and/or supporting joint health.
Are There Any Side Effects?
The side effects of using Salonpas Hot may include the following:
- skin irritation
- burning sensation
Is It Effective?
Capsicum has been believed to reduce joint pain, inflammation, and stiffness however the exact concentration is yet to be determined. The 0.025% capsicum extract in Salonpas Hot is just suitable for some people for them to be able to experience relief from joint pain however this component will not work for everyone. While others may find the Hot patch effective, others may find no relief at all.
Is It Right For You?
This product is not right for you for the following reasons:
- If you have allergy to capsicum containing products like chilli.
- If you cannot tolerate the burning sensation that this product produces.
- If you have used this product for 1 week and have not experienced any relief at all.
What Should I Expect When Using Salonpas Hot?
Upon application of the patch, you should expect to feel a warm to like burning sensation under the area where the patch was applied. It can also cause a slight numbing effect on the area. Pain relief will then be experienced after a few hours.
Will Salonpas Hot Show Results?
Salonpas Hot might be able to provide benefits to some people but the product will definitely not show results for everyone. This product may be beneficial in relief of mild to moderate back ache, knee pain, elbow pain, and shoulder pain but it is no longer sufficient to reduce chronic and strong pain. Also there has been no proof that this product is actually effective in reducing joint pains.
How Long Does It Take To See The Result?
According to the manufacturer, results can be experienced within a few hours after application of the patch to the affected area.
- Do not apply the product on open skin surfaces (e.g. wound or irritated skin)
- This product is to be applied only externally.
- Do not cover the area (where the patch was applied) with heating pad because it might cause burn injuries.
- Do not cover the area (where the patch was applied) with tight bandage.
- Do not leave the patch on the skin for more than 8 hours.
- Wash hands after applying the patch to prevent accidental transfer of the capsicum extract to other parts of the body.
- Do not use the product for more than 7 days. If symptoms have not subsided then you should consult your doctor.
The Salonpas Hot is a good choice if you are just looking for a quick but temporary answer for your joint pains. However if you want a more lasting and permanent solution to your joint related problems then you should find a product that contains ingredients that will support optimum joint health and help repair the damaged joints and cartilages. Think of a long-term solution for your problem so you won’t have to deal with the discomfort of joint damage every day.