What Is Salonpas Gel?
Salonpas Gel is a pain relief formulation that can be used for both muscles and joints. It uses three active ingredients that penetrate deep into the area of application where it provides relief for up to 8 hours according to the product’s webpage. It is a convenient and easy-to-apply analgesic gel that comes in non-greasy form which delivers pain relief a few seconds after application. One 2.75 oz. container (approximately 30 applications) is being sold online for $10.29.
What Does It Claim To Do?
Salonpas Gel is for the temporary relief of minor aches and pains connected to the following:
- Sore muscles
- Simple backache
- Muscle strains
- Joint discomfort
- Stiff neck
- Camphor – the mechanism of action of this active ingredient for pain relief is that it is a counter irritant. When applied on the skin, it numbs nerve endings so they no longer transmit the sensation of pain. It is approved by the FDA for topical use as a pain reliever (3%) and anesthetic (11%). It is quickly absorbed across mucous membranes then is distributed once it penetrates the skin.
- Menthol – years of research has shown that it improves cutaneous blood flow which increases the pain threshold or tolerance to pain. This is why it is well-known as a counter irritant. However, recent research has shown that it may stimulate smaller-diameter nerve fibers instead of larger-diameter fibers thus its effectiveness for treatment of long-term pain.
- Methyl salicylate – this active ingredient works by blocking the chemicals in the body which cause pain. It creates a cold sensation which distracts the person from the pain whether in muscles or joints. Some studies show that it activates the sensory neurons for detecting cold stimuli which disrupts the sensory neurons that detect pain.
- Effective for mild muscle aches.
- Helps with mild to moderate joint pain.
- Very easy to procure since it is available in most supermarkets and pharmacies.
- It is from a brand that has been around for a very long time.
- Salonpas Gel is not very effective for severe joint pain.
- Many users say its effects only last about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Some people may be hypersensitive to any of the ingredients.
- Certain feedbacks say it can cause more pain so it is not for everyone.
For adults and children 12 years of age, apply on the affected areas 3 to 4 times daily. Do not apply more than 4 times daily. Children under 12 years old should consult their health care professional prior to use.
Does It Really Work?
There are mixed feedbacks from people who have tried Salonpas Gel. It is not always effective and doesn’t usually work for severe pain in the muscles or joints. The formula is mostly effective for minor pains and aches in the muscles and joints.
Salonpas Gel is for external use only. It is flammable so keep away from flames. If you are prone to allergic reaction from salicylates or aspirin, consult your health care professional before using. Do not apply the gel on wounds or damage skin, with a heating pad or if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
I have used the patches over the years and decided to try the gel for my joint pain in the knees. It is too strong for me. My wife tried it and she had rashes maybe because of how strong it is or due to an allergy to one of the ingredient. It actually causes more pain when I apply it leaving me having a severe tingling sensation which feels like hundreds of needles are pricking me at the same time. I will just go back to the patch and give the tube away. – Jim G., Alpharetta
I like this gel. It helps to reduce some of my arthritic leg pain to more manageable levels. I use it along with the Salonpas Pain Relieving Patches. Sleep has been the overriding issue for me. When the pain is particularly bad at night, I simply cannot sleep. Before I found Salonpas Gel, I was a sleep deprived mess. Salonpas products have made it easier for me to get enough rest at night, for which I am grateful. – Kaycie Kramer (Amazon Review)
After carefully examining Salonpas Gel, it is a good pain relief topical formulation. However, it is mostly effective for minor aches and pains in the muscles and joints. It is not very effective for moderate to severe pain according to most people who have tried it. The formula is generally safe but some people may be allergic to any of the ingredients. It is still worth trying but there are more effective products for relieving severe joint and muscle pain.