What Is Salonpas Gel?
Salonpas Gel is a pain relief formulation that can be used for both muscles and joints. It uses three active ingredients that penetrate deep into the area of application where it provides relief for up to 8 hours according to the product’s webpage.
It is a convenient and easy-to-apply analgesic gel that comes in non-greasy form which delivers pain relief a few seconds after application. One 2.75 oz. container (approximately 30 applications) is being sold online for $10.29.
What Does It Claim To Do?
Salonpas Gel is for the temporary relief of minor aches and pains connected to the following:
- Sore muscles
- Simple backache
- Muscle strains
- Joint discomfort
- Stiff neck
- Camphor – The mechanism of action of this active ingredient for pain relief is that it is a counter irritant. When applied on the skin, it numbs nerve endings so they no longer transmit the sensation of pain. It is approved by the FDA for topical use as a pain reliever (3%) and anesthetic (11%). It is quickly absorbed across mucous membranes then is distributed once it penetrates the skin.
- Menthol – Years of research has shown that it improves cutaneous blood flow which increases the pain threshold or tolerance to pain. This is why it is well-known as a counter irritant. However, recent research has shown that it may stimulate smaller-diameter nerve fibers instead of larger-diameter fibers thus its effectiveness for treatment of long-term pain.
- Methyl salicylate – This active ingredient works by blocking the chemicals in the body which cause pain. It creates a cold sensation which distracts the person from the pain whether in muscles or joints. Some studies show that it activates the sensory neurons for detecting cold stimuli which disrupts the sensory neurons that detect pain.
- Might be effective for mild muscle aches.
- Could help with mild to moderate joint pain.
- Very easy to procure
- It is from a brand that has been around for a very long time.
- Salonpas Gel is not very effective for severe joint pain.
- Many users say its effects only last about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Some people may be hypersensitive to any of the ingredients.
- Certain feedbacks say it can cause more pain so it is not for everyone.
For adults and children 12 years of age, apply on the affected areas 3 to 4 times daily. Do not apply more than 4 times daily. Children under 12 years old should consult their health care professional prior to use.
Does It Really Work?
There are mixed feedbacks from people who have tried Salonpas Gel. It is not always effective and doesn’t usually work for severe pain in the muscles or joints. The formula is mostly effective for minor pains and aches in the muscles and joints.
Salonpas Gel is for external use only. It is flammable so keep away from flames. If you are prone to allergic reaction from salicylates or aspirin, consult your health care professional before using. Do not apply the gel on wounds or damage skin, with a heating pad or if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
After carefully examining Salonpas Gel, it is a good pain relief topical formulation. However, it is mostly effective for minor aches and pains in the muscles and joints. It is not very effective for moderate to severe pain according to most people who have tried it.
The formula is generally safe but some people may be allergic to any of the ingredients. However, we would recommend our readers to become thorough with the product’s ingredients and associated side effects. It will help you decide whether to buy this product or not.
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available informations and our estimation of efficacy.
*Result may vary. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a serious medical condition, or have a history of heart conditions we suggest consulting with a physician before using any supplement. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease and should not be relied upon as a medical advice. Always consult your doctor before using any supplements.
Disclosure of Material connection: Some of the links in the post above are “associate sales links.” This means if you can click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”