The Cures For Leg Joint Pain
Before giving any kind of treatment for leg joint pain, it is crucial that one knows the causes of the problem so as to know where the treatment should be directed. The cause of the problem could be an underlying medical condition so the treatments for leg joint pain depend on the results of the diagnosis.
With this kind of approach, further occurrence of the disease will be lessened or prevented. Usually, medications are needed to treat pain in leg joint such as the knee and ankles. Below are some of the medications and leg joint pain treatments.
Quick Fix To Joint Leg Problems
- Analgesics:- Leg joint pains are usually caused by arthritis, and this drug is one of the most commonly used treatment. However, this one only targets pain and provides relief from. However, analgesics is safer for people with allergies and those who have stomach problems.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAID:- This is a type of drug is used for treating the symptoms of all forms of arthritis. There are various kinds that fall under this category and some of them are over-the-counter drugs. It does not just relieve one from pain but also targets the inflammation in the joints, which is helpful for preventing the occurrence of the condition later on.
- Corticosteroids:- This type of drugs serves to control the inflammation in the joints that causes pain. It’s a quick-acting drug that is the same with cortisone, a hormone produced in the body that serves the same function as the drug.
- Medications for gout are also one of the treatments for leg joint pain,that is if the joint pain is caused by gout. Some drugs under this category are made to lower the uric acid level in the blood, aiming to prevent future occurrence of symptoms such as joint and future attack of inflammation. While other gout medications work to ease the pain and inflammation brought by acute attacks.
- Disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs or DMARD:- Since one of the main causes of leg joint pain is rheumatoid arthritis, it’s best to target that joint problem itself. DMARD is the medication used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and other forms of arthritis. This type of drugs work by gradually modifying the progression of autoimmune disease.
- Biologic response modifiers:- Biologic agents are a newcomer in this category with 8 of them already FDA approved. These drugs impede further progression of inflammation by blocking a step in the process, without killing the whole immune system.
As mentioned, before taking any leap further, it’s best to know the root of the problem to address it appropriately. While some medications require no prescriptions, it’s better to seek for a doctor’s advice first.