Joint & Arthritis Pain Relief Products
Some consequences of aging – those grey hairs and crow’s feet, for instance – merely change the way we look. As we age on the outside, our joints and ligaments also get older, which often leads to joint pain. And unlike changes to our skin and hair that only affect what we see in the mirror, joint pain can interfere with almost every aspect of daily living. Simple tasks like weeding the garden, opening a can of soup, or climbing the stairs become challenges. Fortunately, there are effective supplements that can deliver relief without the side effects associated with prescription treatments and over-the-counter pain killers.
What Causes Joint Pain?
After an intense workout or an injury, it’s perfectly natural to experience some short-term pain in the joints. For those who suffer from chronic joint pain, however, this discomfort is persistent, almost constant in some cases. It can range from mild to severe. The most common cause of chronic joint pain is osteoarthritis, a condition associated with the wearing away of bone-cushioning cartilage. This loss of cartilage causes the bones to rub together, which results in not only joint pain, but also swelling, loss of motion, and changes in the shape of the joint over time. Other causes of joint pain include injuries, infection, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia.
What Should You Look For In A Quality Joint Support Product?
Anyone who is considering joint supplements should make it a priority to choose a product containing ingredients that have been proven effective through scientific study. The two most important substances to look for in a joint supplement are:
- Glucosamine: Found naturally in the body, glucosamine plays a role in cartilage maintenance and repair. Furthermore, it is believed to be capable of stimulating the production of new joint cartilage. According to Dr. Trisha Macnair, a physician and BBC Health expert, “Some studies even suggest the supplement may be as good as the standard treatment used in mild to moderate arthritis, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen.” She goes on to state that “glucosamine may have some effect in slowing the progression of arthritis (known as a chondroprotective effect) by helping to keep joint cartilage healthy.”
- Chondroitin sulfate: Also naturally occurring, this substance helps keep joint cartilage flexible, and plays a role in guarding it against deterioration. For optimal results, a combination supplement containing glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate is typically recommended.
Other Key Ingredients Important For Joint Health
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM):This organic form of sulfur is found in small quantities in some foods, but not in high enough levels to have significant beneficial effects. MSM supplements are believed to reduce joint inflammation and relieve joint pain.
- Hyaluronic acid: This substance is found naturally in cartilage and in the synovial fluid around the joints. When taken as a supplement, hyaluronic acid is believed to be capable of lubricating the joints, improving joint flexibility, and enhancing overall joint health.
- Boswellia Serrata extract: This plant-derived substance is associated with reduced joint inflammation and improved joint mobility.
- Omega 3 essential fatty acids: Obtained primarily from marine sources, omega 3 essential fatty acids appear to have a number of beneficial effects on joint health and function when taken as a supplement. These include better joint lubrication, reduced joint tenderness, and decreased stiffness.
What Can I Expect From A Joint Supplement?
Everyone responds differently to joint supplements, and results will depend on the formulation of the supplement, the severity of the joint pain, the cause of the pain, and the existing level of joint damage. Supplements containing the ingredients mentioned above are associated with the following benefits:
|Overall improvements in joint mobility and function||Prevention of additional joint damage|
|Reduced joint inflammation||Stronger joints|
|Reductions in joint pain||Rebuilding of joint cartilage|
|Reduced joint friction|
What Else Can I Do To Get Relief From Joint Pain?
Right now at least, there is no permanent cure for joint pain, but changing your lifestyle in addition to taking a good joint supplement can yield positive results. Maintaining a healthy body weight, incorporating low-impact activities like swimming or biking into your day, quitting smoking, and wearing shoes with protective padding can provide relief from joint pain and lead to improvements in overall health. Joint supplements are a popular alternative for those suffering from joint pain. There are many different products to choose from. It is important to choose a product that contains essential ingredients that help decrease joint pain, promote joint, cartilage and tissue regeneration, ability to prevent recurring damage, promote joint mobility and flexibility, and quality of ingredients used in each product.
Top Joint & Arthritis Pain Relief Products
- Eat a proper diet – essential nutrients are important in maintaining healthy joint tissue and giving damaged tissue the essential building blocks necessary to heal.
- Research the product prior to purchasing – it is important to get a product that contains clinically effective ingredients that will help alleviate joint pain.
- Make sure you look for a quality product – ingredient quality is extremely important.
- Look for essential ingredients – such as glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM.
- Be patient – it may take several weeks before you may feel the full effect of supplementation. Changes through supplementation may take weeks, not days, to be felt.
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available information and our estimation of efficacy.
*Results may vary. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a serious medical condition, or have a history of heart conditions we suggest consulting with a physician before using any supplement. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease and should not be relied upon as medical advice. Always consult your doctor before using any supplements.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “associate sales links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”